Making the Mobile Internet Ready to Experience
Flash Networks is a global provider of intelligent mobile Internet solutions that enable operators to improve quality of experience, reduce network operational expenses and manage and monetize the mobile Internet. Providing a faster, safer, richer and more personalized user experience, Flash Networks’ Harmony mobile Internet services gateway helps operators achieve significant cost savings through intelligent data traffic optimization, and applies intelligent policies for targeted marketing and charging. With offices in Europe, Asia and North America, Flash Networks' installed base of top-tier mobile carriers includes O2, Orange, SingTel Group, T-Mobile, Telefonica, Telekom Austria Group, Vodafone and Wind.
Operator Growth Opportunity
All the pieces are coming together for mass adoption of the mobile Internet. High-speed 2.5-3.5G networks, advanced handsets, and built-in wireless modems in laptops are becoming ubiquitous. Rich mobile services, such as video streaming of user-generated content (UGC), live TV, music and games are becoming increasingly available. Market saturation, flat ARPU and stiff competition are driving operator interest in developing revenue streams from all content services.
Despite the fact that the ground is set for the mobile Internet, operators still face three key challenges. First, they need to accelerate subscriber adoption by improving user quality of experience. In most cases users find that web-to-mobile browsing can be difficult and time consuming, with poor presentation quality – in short, an unsatisfying experience. In addition operators need to reduce network operating expenses through data traffic optimization and orchestration techniques. Multiple disparate systems often lead to costly duplication in operations, management, administration and provisioning, slow new service introduction and drive up capital and operating expenses. Finally, operators need to develop additional long-term revenue streams by managing and monetizing open Internet access, leveraging user and network insights and applying intelligent policies for targeted marketing and charging
Mobile Internet Services Gateway
Harmony is a mobile Internet services gateway that empowers enhanced subscriber quality of experience, reduces operational expenses and helps operators manage and monetize access to the open Internet by applying best-in-class services on mobile data traffic. Harmony enables operators to consolidate several detached network services into a single gateway with unified business logic, making the network more uniform and simplified.
Flash Networks’ Harmony services gateway is strategically positioned in the network to efficiently manage all types of network traffic and to apply a diverse ranges of services based on user profile, current activity and network conditions. Connected to the Gi interface, it manages traffic over 2.5G, 2.75G, 3G and 3.5G (HSPA/EVDO) networks for both GSM and CDMA networks.
Based on the technology of choice for carriers, Flash Networks’ gateway supports ultra-high speeds and has no single point of failure. Video media processing and wire-speed functions, such as switching and routing, are carried out over dedicated hardware, thereby minimizing latency and reducing CAPEX and OPEX.
End-User Quality of Experience
Providing a superior quality of experience requires a comprehensive solution that touches on every aspect of mobile Internet browsing. Flash Networks provides a full range of “plug-in” services designed to ensure a fast, rich, safe and personalized mobile user experience.
- Fast: Mobile Internet acceleration enabling end users to enjoy a fast and consistent internet experience including browsing, downloading and video viewing.
- Safe: Content control services ensures safe browsing for all users.
- Rich: Web-to-mobile content adaptation for all devices, flexible pricing plans and premium content provide users the freedom to browse rich and diverse Internet content using their mobile phone.
- Personalized: Personalized toolbar including recommendation and targeted marketing enables subscribers to customize the user experience.
Operator Cost Savings
- Data reduction: Flash Networks’ solution reduces data over the mobile backhaul and transit networks by some 30% for web browsing, 40-70% for P2P (e.g. eMule, uTorrent), and 50% for digital media (e.g. YouTube) applications. With these applications accounting for about 80% of traffic, such data reduction dramatically reduces operating expenses.
- Active bandwidth management: Enables operators to ensure fair usage for all users and prevents excessive use by a small number of heavy users.
- Service orchestration techniques: Minimizes the amount of required hardware and redundant network elements, thereby reducing network operating and capital expenses.
Manage and Monetize Open Internet
Uniquely positioned in the network with the ability to view all data traffic, Flash Networks offers operators short time to market for new policies and services which enable them to better manage and monetize their network. User insight enables personalization of Harmony and third-party services through detailed information about user profiles and behavior, device capabilities, network bearers and more.
- Targeted marketing: Mobile advertising, premium charging and recommendations create new revenue streams from content providers, advertisers, and other non-user sources.
- Differentiated pricing plans & quota management: Accelerate adoption of mobile data services by offering attractive differentiated pricing plans suitable for all types of users (both substitution and complementary to fixed line) while maximizing revenues from each user segment.
- Content control: Enables operators to provide a clean pipe from malware and a controlled browsing experience for children as well as corporate users, by blocking inappropriate or undesirable content.
Flash Networks' installed base of top-tier mobile carriers includes O2, Orange, SingTel Group, T-Mobile, Telefonica, Telekom Austria Group, Vodafone and Wind.